Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Enough

How can you write about something that you've never felt? How, listening to a song, can you feel something that you've never experienced?





The strains of the music fill my consciousness and I'm left with tears in my eyes. I'm not gonna lie, I can actually understand very little of what I'm hearing, the language itself something I'm completely unfamiliar with. But still, the impact is made. 

Is that heartbreak in that sustained note? Something personally experienced or even just imagined? Or could it be wanting something you can never have? Want. . I think that as a human being, those feelings are universal. 

Love, in all its forms, is independent of language and country borders. Joy, sadness, and anger are free from gender and political stance. 

As I sit here listening to music I can't understand in words, I feel my heart sync up to what my brain can't follow. I wonder at the distance; the distance we as human beings try to put between each other.

We don't speak the same language; we worship differently; our ideas about love differ. But if I can hear someone's heart in a song from across the world, aren't we all the same? Don't we all, in the end, feel hurt? Feel joy? Feel love?

Shouldn't that be enough? 

5 comments: